Random thoughts Stray memories

Tuesday, March 02, 2004

Tired and still at work. I'm distracting myself to blog a thought about searching for correct fixes to problems. When a problem is encountered, it's possible to search for possible solutions from an existing solutions database. I'm probably the fastest seeker in my team not because I know the most appropriate keywords to narrow down the search. I'm fast because of the exact opposite reason. I use as few keywords as possible, and only those 100% dead certain ones. For instance, while someone else would rather use more keywords (even not so appropriate ones) to narrow down the search to 100 hits; I would use fewer keywords (but all 100% relevant) and have 1,000 hits. Then I would go through the 1,000 hits manually to find the correct fix, rather than miss the correct solution due to limitations by inadequate keywords. And the end result is I'm often faster than the person who tries to have a short cut in the beginning.

I guess it pays to be patient.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home