Random thoughts Stray memories

Sunday, March 08, 2009

It's been a while since I've last written. It felt somewhat pointless if I could just turn to you and instantly unburden myself, and you could provide instant feedback with a laugh and a hug. I'm grateful for that everyday, you know. I'm grateful for you.

I don't know why I'm writing again really. Maybe because I realised recently that an old friend has been blogging. Maybe because I had lunch with a co-worker studying psychology, and she reminded me that the best way to know ourselves is to write. I've been reading too much and watching way too many films, but I don't know if everything had passed through me like water through a sieve. Maybe it's time to investigate the residue.

I bought 3 books today, all of which I'm determined to read till completion, and 2 of which I hope you do too. (We shall see about that.) I passed on buying you a copy of "The Watchmen", because you didn't seem to like the movie all that much and that was quite faithful to the graphic novel.

One of the books was "How to cook without recipes". The thought of this intrigued me. When we cooked, we would often copy recipes out on tiny scraps of paper to place on the kitchen counter, which we would refer to as we scurried around. Over time, we've learnt that there wasn't any room to place the cookery book (and yes, we like the book in pristine condition too).

I've skimmed through this book, and the main idea was to remember flavour trails and use them to build up the recipe in our minds. I wonder: if I were to master this, would I be able to apply memory trails in other areas as well?

Another book was "TimeOut: 1000 Songs to Change Your Life". Currently, more than 8000 songs reside in my iPod, most of which I have no idea are there. I wonder how many of the 1000 songs could be in my iPod collection, and if it would matter. I often put my iPod in shuffle mode so I could coax the songs out of hiding. For a person who doesn't care for surprises, this inclination to shuffle music doesn't seem to make sense.

2 Comments:

  • Glad u're blogging... :)

    By Blogger M, at 10:00 PM  

  • Welcome back. =) - D W

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home