Random thoughts Stray memories

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Yesterday a Hong Kong colleague tried to explain to me the different nuances of thanking people in Cantonese. What I figured out is:

'mm goi' is to thank for an expected favour which is intangible
'dor jei' is to thank for a surprise favour which is tangible (ie. with physical goods receipt)

I also managed to catch an episode of a local TV serial called Yummy Yummy, which featured an earnest Singaporean guy who flew to Hong Kong to search for his girlfriend. My colleagues here kept speaking of the similarities in speech between his character and me, so I tuned in to find out. Well, this character didn't speak like an authentic Singaporean! He only mixed his Mandarin and Cantonese. What happened to our Singlish? Geez.

On food. I will not buy chips anymore. It's so easy to stuff your face on it while watching TV. But the good news is that I've had my first cup noodles last night, so it's the microwave oven next before I tackle the frying pan. :)

It's getting rainy here, and my stint seemed to have extended just beyond November.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home