Random thoughts Stray memories

Saturday, October 30, 2004

Strange encounter at Borders. I was there to check out CDs and spotted a triple CD compilation by Billy Bragg. When I picked it up, an Australian gentleman in his 40s standing beside me said he was just looking at that. I smiled and told him he could have it, and he asked dubiously if I've actually heard of Billy Bragg. I replied that I like his song A New England most, and the man started recounting to me how he was looking for the Woodie Guthrie songs covered by Billy Bragg but couldn't find them. I told him he could check out "W" since Wilco collaborated with Billy Bragg on this, and after another few sentences, I moved on to the next shelf.

I guess he couldn't quite believe he actually found someone who knew Billy Bragg too, cos he caught up with me to pass me his namecard. So we stood around and talked a bit more on music, and he wandered over to the classical music section. He came back bearing 2 Gorecki albums he was planning to buy and showed them to me. The bizarre thing is though I don't listen to much classical music, Gorecki is the only composer I'm more familiar with, and I actually own one of the two albums he was planning to buy. Then I recommended him Lamb's Best of album, where they have a love song entitled Gorecki and he decided to buy it.

Weird. After all these years browsing CDs, this is the first time I've actually made an acquaintance over music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home