Random thoughts Stray memories

Saturday, April 10, 2004

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is best.
- Frank Zappa

Well. Got the issue of Word with the 110 songs you have to hear, and as expected, I've only heard a handful (or exactly 10%). While going through the list with my jc girlfriend, I found I could hum nearly every song I know though, but then I guess they're quite common. What I know boiled down to:

1) Stevie Wonder's My Cherie Amour
Picked by George Michael because "in some perverse way, because he can't see, he can hear God better."

2) Kate Bush's Cloudbusting
Picked by Alison Goldfrapp. Interestingly, the song seemed to be inspired by A Book of Dreams by Peter Reich, on life with his father (the infamous psychoanalyst Wilhelm Reich). Wilhelm Reich had wild theories on sexual energy and invented a rain-making machine which he and his son operated (and worked apparently).

3) Black's Wonderful Life
Picked by a TV producer because it was showcased in a TV campaign in the 90's. Eh. Nice song, bad reason.

4) Nina Simone's My Baby Just Cares for Me
Picked by Bryan Adams(!) cos "this is the marriage of a great voice and a simple song."

5) John Coltrane's cover of My Favourite Things
Picked by Felix Buxton of Basement Jaxx, who also mentioned the drum & bass cover of this by Outkast (which I've heard and adore).

6) Jackie DeShannon's Needles and Pins
The only song of the lot I can't hum. Strangely my last memory of this is either hearing it requested at a karaoke lounge or a pub, or maybe it's both.

7) Screaming Jay Hawkins' cover of I Put a Spell on You
Actually I only remember Nina Simone or Ella Fitzgerald's take on this song.

8) Dionne Warwick's Say a Little Prayer
I've heard this in quite a few movies.

9) Al Green's cover of I Wanna Hold Your Hand
Hmm, I've not heard this cover either.

10) Stina Nordenstam's Little Star
Stina Nordenstam described this song as about "a suicide with a confession in Latin performed by a boys' choir". lol. I think she's got a brilliant breathy child-woman voice, like she grew up but her voice never did.

11) The Beach Boys' God Only Knows
Yes, my favourite Beach Boys' song too.

The rest of the songs were a mixed bag ranging from Ken Nordine's I Used to Think my Right Hand was Uglier than my Left to Racing Cars' They Shoot Horses Don't They. Won't hurt to bring the list down to Borders for a long lazy afternoon and sample through the lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home