Random thoughts Stray memories

Tuesday, January 01, 2002

ttj and my best friend went to the booksale today and overloaded on books too. As I've asked them for the list of books they've purchased, I'll put up my list here too.

1) Arielle Eckstut & Dennis Ashton's Pride and Promiscuity
Imaginary lost sex scenes in Jane Austen works. Hilarious.

2) Gaby Hauptman's In Search of an impotent Man
Translation of German bestselling fiction about a woman in search of a man who's more interested in a relationship than sex. Finished reading this today, didn't find it particularly well-written. My worst buy of the lot.

3) Ayn Rand's Romantic Manifesto
One of three Ayn Rand books I own now, all unread. The first Ayn Rand book I've bought some time back is Atlas Shrugged, and it's only selling for $4 now at the booksale!

4) Ayn Rand's We the Living
A semi-biography of sorts. I confess that I just like Ayn Rand's name even before I know of her extensive works.

5) Chuck Palahniuk's Choke
Skirted round a stack of books and missed seeing a hard cover copy of this the first time. Luckily I saw this on closer inspection. It's probably the only copy left when I was there. My best buy of the lot.

6) Douglas Coupland's Miss Wyoming
Up to now, my favourite Douglas Coupland book is Microserfs but maybe it's cos I'm educated as a techie. You can't go wrong with his books.

7) Germaine Greer's The Whole Woman
This is the supposed inferior follow-up to Germaine Greer's classic feminist bible The Female Eunuch. Incidentally Yoyo bought a copy of The Female Eunuch at the sale and refused to let me have it instead. Boo to you! lol.

8) Haruki Murakami's Underground
Murakami is my favourite Japanese author (not that I know many to begin with) because he references music a lot in his writing. Does that make sense?

9) James Collins & Jerry Porras' Built to Last
A classic on visionary companies which comes highly recommended by my best friend.

10) Michael Paterniti's Driving Mr Albert
A scientific roadtrip with Albert Einstein's pickled brain. Cute.

11) Naomi Klein's No Logo
Even Eddie Vedder of the band Pearl Jam has read it. On evils of branding.

12) Naomi Wolf's Promiscuities (The Secret Struggle for Womanhood)
Feminism and the history of the slut. And yes, I own but no, I haven't read The Beauty Myth, also by her.

13) Robert Rodi's What they did to Princess Paragon
On updating a comic series called Princess Paragon by firstly making the Princess a dyke.

14) Stuart Stevens' Feeding Frenzy
On taking a road trip through Europe looking for the perfect meal.

15) Tracy Chevalier's Girl with a Pearl Earring
Spinning a yarn about a same-titled painting. Interesting storyline.

Oh well, at least I've read 2 books today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home