Random thoughts Stray memories

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I've pretty much settled into my self-contained life again.

I'm now reading 3 library books (depending on whichever is closest to me at any point in time). Along the way, I surf to pick up on what catches my eye. Today's eye candy is Gartner's Hype Cycle.

I think it'll be interesting to do a Hype Cycle based on my own life. Like sudoku has hit the peak and gone into a trough of disillusionment while blogging is in a steady plateau of productivity after all these years. But then trend watch will have to take place at too frantic a pace, and frankly, I'm lazy.

Oh, I've also started listening to podcasts. Today, I listened to one featuring Jimmy Wales on Wikipedia as well as another featuring Alan Taylor on web mash ups, while replying to emails.

Something Jimmy Wales was trying to explain about the volunteer community at Wikipedia struck me, and I hope I didn't get it wrong. He mentioned that while writing articles on Wikipedia, there would unavoidably be different versions. What they try to advocate was that if the article had to be protected (against overwrites or edits), the original author or administrator should always choose to protect the other version and not their own.

It was just like how we should always try to see things from another person's perspective in life, and I hope I've done that to some degree.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home