Random thoughts Stray memories

Thursday, June 16, 2005

I'm now staying at a hotel called Fawlty Towers in Rome. Yes I picked it for its name. No I didn't go to Estonia. Where I did go was to Naples, Pompeii, Capri and Rome, in that order.

Naples is beautiful and not as dangerous to me as I had been warned. Someone related a saying that it's worth dying just to see Naples. And Naples is deathdefyingly beautiful. The highlight of my trip there was to visit this obscure castle in the middle of nowhere to see an exhibition of MC Escher's works. Maybe it's an incentive for me to finish reading The Golden Braid finally.

My digital camera died by the time I hit Pompeii but I guess none of the pics would have stood out. All dust and ruins, and stray docile dogs following you around as you walk. Oh, my hotel owner in Naples? He has a little dog called Kika. I wanted to take his pic but there wasn't a chance.

On the ferry over to Capri, I was sitting in a sea of Japanese tourists (either honeymooning couples or old folks), and only they and I could tell I wasn't one of them. Didn't like Capri that much. It is lovely but has way too many designer boutiques and tourists. I think it's a vicious cycle.

Walked till my heels cracked painfully. Must remember to wear running shoes rather than thin flipflops! Was out walking from 8am to nearly 7pm everyday but I find it therapeutic.

The funny thing is that I'm now blogging from the free internet room at the hotel and it's blocking me from viewing my own site due to the link to Confessions of a P**n Star. Woohoo. Blogging blind I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home