Random thoughts Stray memories

Sunday, July 11, 2004

How the sun first glimpsed Icarus a long time since he fell to earth.

Since I didn't expect to see you again, I had no idea it would take place in the wee hours of the morning in a field in the middle of nowhere. It was at an outdoor gig and I've danced for quite a while in the same spot, while friends had taken turns to disappear elsewhere. The music was good, and I was drenched and dishevelled.

I've met quite a few acquaintances in the crowd, and hugged in greeting those who didn't know me better. I thought it more a waste of effort to explain why I don't hug, than to just hug them in return anyway. So hugging became a strange farce, since I don't hug the people closer to me. But I digress.

I was dancing when someone in a white shirt 2 rows ahead caught my eye. From the back, he had your built and that unwieldy hair, and even dressed like you. And then I realised it was because it was. You. You were with some friends and seemed to be having fun. I took a step back in confusion and turned around to stare into the eyes of a tall blonde guy. He hesitated, then bent his head down to my ear and said, "You're one hell of a dancer." And he straightened his back and the conversation was over. It felt so surreal. But I smiled and nodded at him, and did what I was one hell of.

Somehow you drifted near me sometime later, to hug a friend in greeting. You looked over your friend's shoulder straight into my eyes and despite my longer hair, I could tell you recognised me. I didn't react though, except to smile and close my eyes to dance. Music called out to me instead of you, and I felt fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home