Random thoughts Stray memories

Sunday, November 02, 2003

A few years back, I attended a one and only screening of the Nick Drake documentary Skin too Few at the Singapore International Film Festival with my best friend. He and I would not remember this as well as the short film with naked women bathers of all ages (and believe me, they're not erotic) which was screened just before the Nick Drake documentary. The screening wasn't that well attended either, but somehow people who also watched the movie and whom I didn't know then would resurface later in my life. They would be guys who were moved to tears watching Nick Drake while sentimental me didn't shed a drop.

I was just chatting with such a friend today, and we dreamt up a conversation in which he could foresee the future and had come up to talk to me at that screening. He would say something like:

Hi. You don't know me yet but like some of the others here, I'll reappear in your life some years later. I'll call you up one lazy Sunday afternoon to hang out, but you'll tell me the weather's bad. And it'll be true cos there will be unpredictable hot sun and sudden rain. And you'll tell me that you're watching DVDs but can chat on the phone for a bit. And I'll know that you can be convinced to come out if I wheedle a bit harder, so I will and you do. We'll sit for three and a half hours during which we'll consume 5 drinks and a slice of strawberry swirl cake, and I will finish smoking a pack of ciggies. Our mobile phones will not have any incoming sms or calls the whole time.. it'll be as if the whole world has forgotten us. Our minds will wander and we will lapse into comfortable silence sometimes, and you will watch traffic closely (both human and cars), and wonder why there isn't anybody we know. And you'll tell me you want to blog about this moment, and I will say ok, even though I've never read your blog and won't ask to. Then you'll ask me what nickname I'll like for myself, and I'll say "Flim Flam Man" without any hesitation. Of cos you'll ask why and I'll explain it's a song by Laura Nyro. But that'll be some time later. Now just enjoy the movie and don't worry about fucking up too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home