Random thoughts Stray memories

Saturday, July 12, 2003

While waiting for you to turn up, I went rummaging through the bargain bins at HMV and saw a dance CD by Komputer. The only reason this CD caught my attention was cos track 7 is titled Singapore and really, what could this sound like? Was musing when you phoned, and I started my usual chattering over the phone while still scanning the racks. After a minute or so, you just laughed and told me to look up. And there you were, standing there all along while I was totally oblivious. You never cease to be amused by how unaware I am, that I don't seem to have any radar blips on my horizon. Well, I showed you the CDs I intended to get and you couldn't believe I was getting the Komputer CD based on track 7. You asked if I'm particularly patriotic, but we both knew that's not why.

Some time later on the way back, we were sampling my new purchases and I popped in the Komputer CD and forwarded to the track called Singapore. It was the most awful shit imaginable. An electronic voice kept slow-chanting "Sing-a-pore" monotonously to the most painful tune and no one could possibly believe this is remotely palatable or worse, danceable. We looked at each other incredulously and started to giggle. You changed to another track to check if Komputer sounds like this all the time. And they don't. The other track actually sounded pretty well done.

I guess now we at least know what one musical act thinks about our country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home