Random thoughts Stray memories

Tuesday, November 26, 2002

Yesterday, I had a surreal moment while listening to the Cutest (married) Business Associate I know explain about system dynamics. When he was trying to apply system dynamics to business processes with constraints, ie. simulating reality rather than replicating reality, there was an instant I blanked out and thought "He's soooo cute he could be reciting the phone directory and I wouldn't know the difference". And I'm not the only one. I've seen other women blank out at meetings with this guy too.

Not to say I didn't understand him. I did. In cake-speak, he's talking about forecasting rather than creating real cakes to test out various what-if scenarios, eg. what if more baking powder is added to the cake mixture. The problem is reality can only be simulated but not replicated, because not all factors in reality can be accounted for. Like the same combination of cake mixture can result in different quality grades in the hands of 2 different bakers (one experienced and one not so), but forecasting didn't account for the baker's experience. But I digress.

Maybe I should stare at his forehead next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home