Random thoughts Stray memories

Monday, April 08, 2002

Sunday morning I went to Goethe Institute for a Film Fest fringe movie, which is an 11am screening of German animation. However, the event got cancelled but no one was there to spread the news, and no notice was posted. The security guard just repeated that the Goethe Institute only opened at 1pm. Urgh.

Went to Books Kinokuniya again to look for translated works of Mariko Habayashi, this time armed with the Chinese translation of her name. Managed to locate a collection of short stories translated into Chinese, hesitated briefly before buying it anyway. I started reading it right away while waiting for friends to appear for lunch, and somehow it didn't satisfy me. Though I can read Chinese prose adequately, I don't seem to get the nuances the text is trying to convey. I much preferred the English translated works of other Japanese authors like Murakami or Banana Yoshimoto. But I still dropped by the library to borrow another Chinese translated work of Mariko Habayashi, just to reaffirm my incompetence with reading Chinese text.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home