Random thoughts Stray memories

Tuesday, December 18, 2001

I'm constantly surprised by my reactions to gadgets. I don't bond well with all, just some.

In the early days when I had a Palm III, I hardly used it. It was only when I switched to a Palm V in 1999 that I used it actively, even more than 2 years later. Is it purely the sleek form of the latter? I don't know. On the other hand, playstations and game consoles have no appeal to me whatsoever. I like the idea of playing, but not on those.

My lomo however, scored high on my Wow! scale cos it seemed to have more of a personality. It's pretty fickle and there's no guarantee on the outcomes of the pics I took. It completely upsets the WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) concept I've come to associate with cameras. It also pretty much disproves what I've come to take for granted, like... No, the viewfinder doesn't help much, you may as well just swing the lomo around when you snap. So that's what I did.

With other cameras, I used to be more of a scenery person. I like to keep people out of the shot if possible and I also dislike being photographed. I realise however, that the lomo is a People camera. Traffic, buildings and trees come out ok but people really STAND out. Cos people are animated and the lomo really brings this across. My favourite shot so far was taken this afternoon during lunchtime, where I took the lomo out in a desperate bid to finish the film. I was waiting at a traffic junction with my colleagues and explaining to one colleague about the lomo. He laughingly pointed a finger at the funny contraption and said What, this is a camera? And I took a spontaneous shot then. The segmented shots of his jabbing finger and cut-off chin/ his broad smile/ his eyes/ his whole face told it all.

It's strange. I rather think the lomo is more a random picture generator than a camera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home