Random thoughts Stray memories

Friday, July 15, 2005

[Singapore] Just landed 2 hours ago. There are no sordid tales about my Hong Kong trip. In fact it's been so hectic that I've not bought anything except for chewing gum *horrified look*. But the Hong Kong folks are a young energetic bunch who kept me well fed (dim sum? check. That monstrous touristy Jumbo floating seafood restaurant? check.) And though there's a lot to learn and more to do, I'm enjoying myself.

Will be flying down to Hong Kong again next week but I've not made travel plans yet. Seems like this Hong Kong stint may be able to wrap by this December. Will keep fingers crossed. :)

Was introduced to a Singaporean working in Hong Kong whose dialect group is Hokkien. He had to pick up Cantonese and did it really well in his stint there. The strange thing is that though the 2 of us were not fluent in Cantonese, when we were left to talk to each other, we still carried on conversing in Cantonese obliviously. lol.

Well actually, it's not that my Cantonese is bad but rather that I don't understand Cantonese idioms. Today I was taught one about chickens, sentries and grains of rice (don't ask me to repeat it, I can't recall). In the event that I get into an argument with my Hong Kong users, I've already warned them that my response rate to their machine gun rattle will be deathdefyingly slow.

Time to sleep. Tomorrow is another long administrative workday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home