Random thoughts Stray memories

Monday, July 25, 2005

Over the weekend, I watched the film adaptation of my favourite Japanese author Haruki Murakami's short story Tony Takitani, which is directed by one of my favourite Japanese directors Jun Ichikawa. Each shot often starts with the camera hiding behind a wall and panning hesitantly into each scene, awkwardly aware of being intrusive. The movie is very much in the style of Murakami's writing. What's there not to like? :D

Also caught a compilation of classic Japanese animation at a local indie film festival. It was interesting but marred by the lack of subtitles, which left me perplexed half the time. Spoke to one of the festival organisers though, and he offered to arrange a meetup after the festival with other indie film folks. :) Will be nice to talk shop, hahaha!

Sometimes I think I can assimilate into this country and then some things give me away. My inability to read the Chinese local news and preference for the English South China Morning Post instead. How some service personnel will switch to speaking English after hearing my garbled Cantonese. How I can't dress as flashy as the locals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home