Random thoughts Stray memories

Monday, January 26, 2004

From today's Whatis.com:

Disruptive technology is a term coined by Harvard Business School professor Clayton M. Christensen to describe a new technology that unexpectedly displaces an established technology. In his 1997 best-selling book, "The Innovator's Dilemma," Christensen separates new technology into two categories: sustaining and disruptive.

Sustaining technology relies on incremental improvements to an already established technology. Disruptive technology lacks refinement, often has performance problems because it is new, appeals to a limited audience, and may not yet have a proven practical application. (Such was the case with Alexander Graham Bell's "electrical speech machine," which we now call the telephone.)


I think this applies to my life too. I'm in a sustaining cycle, though I do minor sabotages to disrupt it. The question is: am I going to jolt myself enough to break out of the holding pattern?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home