Random thoughts Stray memories

Monday, December 29, 2003

I'm back and yes that's fast but not fast enough. I realise there is a reason why I don't go to beach resorts (besides not being able to swim). Our trip highlights can be summarised as follows:

The resort folks probably thought Singaporeans were too pampered. They didn't understand why my UK travelmate and I wanted directions on how to walk to the spa and kept insisting on sending someone to come pick us up. When we persisted and walked, we realised it's only 200 metres away.

There was a fruit and vegetable farm, as well as horse riding facilities in the resort. Just no gym. There was a private beach too (25 minutes away by vehicle), but when we got there it immediately started to drizzle. Suffice to say nobody used sunblock or got any tan.

My UK travelmate got food poisoning and I didn't, though we ate the same food. But I got nauseous on the sea.

I watched more TV in 2 days than I've the whole of this year, and Singaporean TV channels too. Saw a Bollywood movie on Arts Central (pure melodrama with lines like "I'm a lover, and a lover only dies once"... what, and the rest of us die every other week?). Also went through a lot of Chinese TV serials while we were playing scrabble. And then, we slept like logs.

Sat by the pool this morning to read while my UK travelmate swam. The wind attempted to wrap my hair round my face, like a frustrated child clumsily wrapping her first present again and again with a wrapper that was too small. That felt nice.

Good to be back. Time to hit the library.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home