Random thoughts Stray memories

Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Sunday, on the second floor of BK at Holland V. My UK travelmate had recently learnt how to fold an origami frog. Her colleagues and her learnt one lunchtime by unravelling an existing origami frog and retracing the steps. She folded one on a $2 bill and I copied her folds on another. Mine was a bit lopsided, but the first thing I ever folded besides paper planes and stars.

Last night, after meeting you. I asked you for a $2 bill, eager to show off my new trick. I thought it would be a surprise since we've never discussed origami or such. I started creasing the corners of the note and asked if you knew what I was going to make. You looked over and said, "Could it be a little frog?". I stopped, stumped. Then suspicious, I handed you the not-yet-folded $2 bill and asked if you knew how. You grinned and started folding the note under the table. I craned to see but you wouldn't let me. When you were finally done, you placed the origami frog on the table and made it jump real high. I took out my origami frog from my wallet and compared it with yours. Mine's more streamlined but yours had more folds to propel it in jumps. In the end, I kept your frog instead and you took mine.

Then you gave me that armload of presents, and asked me to look out for my birthday card cos it's the smallest and hardest thing to find. I looked everywhere but kept missing it, so finally you hinted at its location. And then I saw it was a tiny little origami frog too. You folded it by some freaky coincidence, before you knew I wanted to show you. You could also fold planes, T-shirts, hearts and cranes but somehow you chose to fold me a frog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home