Random thoughts Stray memories

Saturday, May 25, 2002

Bought a book from the mobile book fair today, and it's David Ireland's The Chosen. In it, it quoted physicist Richard Feynman's famous lines: "If you could pass on only one sentence to the future, let it be this: all things are made of atoms, little particles moving around in perpetual motion, attracting each other when they're a little distance apart, but repelling upon being squeezed into one another."

I asked my best friend which one sentence he would pass on, and he said it'd be "A complex problem can always be solved by another layer of extraction." Hmm. I said my line'd be "We don't have all the time in the world", which he thought was decidedly pessimistic. But my take is it's just rephrasing Carpe diem or "Seize the day", and meant to spur people on to treasure moments instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home