Random thoughts Stray memories

Sunday, May 12, 2002

The accidental gig and English football. I never planned to go clubbing last night but I did anyway. A friend sms'd me last minute that he's spinning records and surprisingly my best friend could make it despite the short notice given. To explain about the 3 of us: the DJ is the Liverpool fan; my best friend is the loyal Man U supporter; and me, I am the passive Arsenal fan. (Though my best friend insisted that supporting Arsenal cos I like Nick Hornby's book Fever Pitch, and the author is the one who supports Arsenal, is not reason enough. But why does it need a plausible reason?)

Anyway, last night there was a football match on between Liverpool and Ipswich during the gig. And there's a TV monitor next to the DJ console broadcasting the match, as well as another one near the bar. But does the DJ need to watch TV when he's spinning? At least my best friend seemed very keen on the match, even though his team wasn't playing. So we danced and he spent his time divided between the TV monitors at the DJ console and the bar. He was visibly agitated when Liverpool won 5-0, and I hummed the tune to Hawaii 5-0 to rub salt into his wound.

Post-gig, the 3 of us ended up at a dingy coffee shop chatting. The guys raved about World Cup and why Japan can't win it. When I asked why, the guys looked at me like I'm daft and said it's cos Japanese supporters don't hate enough. You've got to hate the opponent teams, you need to jeer at them... and the Japanese supporters have been known to cheer losing oppositions before. Good grief.

Some time later it started raining cats and dogs. The rain made a surreal waterfall backdrop on the roof of a parked taxi, while I sat there in the humid coffee shop listening to the guys. And I remembered thinking, so this whole day is meant to lead up to this. I didn't know I'd end up here but it's not bad at all is it. And I felt relieved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home