Random thoughts Stray memories

Tuesday, October 30, 2001

I landed in Milan the night before 1 May 1996 with 2 colleagues from my ex-company. We were staying on the outskirts of Milan but weren't due to start work on a project till the day after Labour Day. I remember poring over the map of Milan on Labour Day morning, looking at the Duomo right in the heart of Milan. I didn't know what the Duomo was then but I knew it's special and we had to go there. Then we were told that there would be no public transportation available since it's Labour Day. Unbelievable. We looked at the map again and tried to gauge the walking distance from our hotel to the Duomo. 2 hours? 3? Was it worth it? We decided to walk. So that was how we trudged down the cobbled roads in Milan while sidestepping dog poo and navigated our way down to the centre of Milan. It did take us about 3 hours and the journey down was quite fun really. But what stood out was when we rounded the final corner and came face to face with the Duomo. At that moment, if you made me walk all the way to our lodgings and back to the Duomo again, I would have done it gladly. Just to savour that moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home