Random thoughts Stray memories

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

What I didn't know about buying prawns.

1) I didn't know how heavy 400 grams is, and it didn't help that the weighing machine is all the way on the other side of the supermarket at the checkout counter. I also didn't want to dash back from the checkout counter to add additional prawns to my bag either.

2) I didn't know if grey prawns or red prawns were a better pick. I quizzed the uncle choosing prawns beside me, but he turned and told me he's korean. Erm. So I chose grey prawns, just because they were smaller (and hence a more manageable size).

3) I also didn't know how to tell the freshness of prawns. I thought more curled up prawns were fresher than the straightened up ones, but you thought otherwise. (On the other hand, you've never bought prawns before either).

What resulted was I bought 310 grams worth of prawns, rather than the required 400 grams. But I counted the prawns (16 in all), which came up to about 20 grams per medium sized prawn, and figured that I should count the number of prawns I buy next time and mutiply by estimated unit weight.

Just giving a formula to this calmed me down.

1 Comments:

  • haha! prawn shapes don't matter.

    what's more important is how firmly attached to the head, the body is.

    -H's Honey

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home