Random thoughts Stray memories

Monday, December 05, 2005

Entertained Singaporean visitors the past 3 weekends and I'll be home in 2-3 days' time. I'm actually meeting more Singaporeans than locals here.

Phoned mum yesterday morning and she told me the fridge seemed to have broken down. She complained that the food wasn't kept cold enough, and the fridge emitted a loud rumbling sound. This morning when I called again, mum mentioned that the fridge is fine now. When probed further, mum admitted that she bought lots of foodstuff in anticipation of feeding me when I'm back, and had overloaded the fridge. lol.

Yesterday was the first weekend I was alone for some time and it was lovely. Had a morning run before I set off to watch Michael Winterbottom's film "In this World". This is a touching story revolving round 2 Afghan youths' quest to reach London from Pakistan over land, and how the route was fraught with danger.

Came home to find there's a pro-democracy protest march on my doorstep. Depending on which source you listen to, either 63,000 or 250,000 people marched from Victoria Park past my place down to Central, in a bid to get the government to support their bid for one-person one-vote. The mood was electric. People were chanting slogans through loudspeakers. Traffic came to a standstill. For about 3 hours, I perched myself on the table next to my window to glance down at the marching crowd. 7 trams were stuck in a row along the tracks in front of my building cos there was no way to move through the throng. People brought their kids along even though the kids would have been too young to vote anyway.

Ironically, this is the only Sunday I've known where Hong Kong people, and not Indonesian maids, dominated Causeway Bay.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home