Random thoughts Stray memories

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

For my last 2 visits back to Singapore, I've gone to eat Yat Kun kaya toast (but no fried carrot cake or char kway teow, though I've managed to sneak in laksa). When I watched Eric Khoo's "Be With Me" on Sunday, the closeups on the food made me drool.

Learnt more Cantonese slang. To study in a single-sex school is referred to as "sek zai", or to be vegetarian. To study in single-sex schools all the way is "ho zai", or very vegetarian.

Did more Cantonese boo-boo. I mentioned that gays are more acceptable in Hong Kong, because "gay hei" (gay films) are often banned in Singapore. Everyone got thrown off for a while, before someone realised I wasn't talking about "gay hei" (machines in Cantonese). Then fearing my lack of understanding in Cantonese, I was asked in Mandarin if Singaporeans are very "chun" (pure in Mandarin). However, I echoed "Chuen?" (which meant dumb in Cantonese). Suffice to say I've definitely let our country down. lol.

Oh, and I maybe going to Disneyland this weekend with a Singaporean couple I know. I bet it's going to be packed but since I don't yet know my fate in Hong Kong, it's best to visit places while I still have a chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home