Random thoughts Stray memories

Thursday, October 28, 2004

My internet connection was crawling last night and I couldn't blog. Urgh. Now I've got limited time before I wolf down breakfast and dash to work, and I'm torn between blogging about the strange lunchtime conversation in which a colleague from the Netherlands confessed his dream job is to be a weatherman (the weather is fickle because most of his country is below sea level), or dinnertime conversation with a friend (dinner was shorter than the time it took to travel to dinner, but good company is worth it), and I decided I would quote an excerpt from a book instead.

And yes, that WAS a long sentence wasn't it? Here we go:

There's no such thing as effortless beauty - you should know that.
There's no effort which is not beautiful - lifting a heavy stone or loving you.
Loving you is like lifting a heavy stone. It would be easier not to do it and I'm not quite sure why I am doing it. It takes all my strength and all my determination, and I said I wouldn't love someone again like this. Is there any sense in loving someone you can only wake up to by chance?

- Jeanette Winterson, The PowerBook

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home