Random thoughts Stray memories

Thursday, May 27, 2004

This is how it went. After our family dinner, my bro was using my laptop to hotsync emails from his Palm and we decided to filch some nuggets of wisdom (muahahaha!) from them. My bro has opted to call himself nullstate (though his wife calls him Fat Cat), and here we go:

Now, this epiphany strikes me- I believe in luck but not miracles. We are trained in maths; luck is explained by a probability distribution and over the long run, the expected result should dominate.

A miracle would be an event that is not even in the set of expected results, and would be totally irreconciliable.

I'm just one of those guys who find unexplainable situations annoying. It becomes an affront to my intellectual capacity or, at least, my ability to google the answer off the net.

So do I consciously avoid miracles so I don't have to try to explain them? Hmm, mind-boggling.


That luck/ miracle/ math bit really sounds like me. lol. No wonder we're related.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home