Random thoughts Stray memories

Monday, March 29, 2004

What's on my mind today is car parks, or to be precise, the maximum sustainable weight estimated for car parks. It all started with the Elevation gig I attended last Saturday, where a crowd congregated on the top floor of an unused car park for a clubbing event. The problem is, the floor started trembling after a while and I harboured morbid thoughts of the car park floor giving way, which isn't the way I thought I'll die (not that I thought about dying much, but surely it's not in an unused car park?). So I started inching the gang nearer to the edge of the car park where the railings are and the floor doesn't want to boogie.

Anarchy thought that each car should weigh about the same as 15 people, so if more than 15 people were standing in each parking lot, would that be over the limit then? This morning I exchanged a flurry of hilarious emails with a friend about this. He scoffed at my irrational fear of the collapsing car park floor and we reached the conclusion that each parking lot should be designed for the heaviest vehicle possible (lorry?) and should sustain the maximum weight of the vehicle and its load. It's like imagining that every car in the lot is being parked at the same time, each of them with the maximum number of occupants and load, with a buffer percentage. Weird isn't it?

I really should get back to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home