Random thoughts Stray memories

Wednesday, October 15, 2003

By this Sunday I'd have watched 144 films this year, and that's not the end yet. And my new year's resolution is to watch fewer than last year's 120 films? Argh.

Anyway, I realise that my favourite scenes in recent films feature running. In one Czech film Divided We Fall, there's a tracking shot where a Jew was running furtively away from the Nazis. He ran along a brick wall, stumbling and looking over his shoulder with fear every other step, and the camera moved in a blur of movement with him. Sometimes the camera moved faster than he did, so you could only see the blank wall before you saw him running into the edge of the frame. Sometimes he outran the camera, and the panning shot would try to overtake him again. And he was breathing so hard.

Then I realised that I never hear myself breathe when I run. My music is too loud for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home