Random thoughts Stray memories

Sunday, May 25, 2003

Today. What can I say about today?

Today I wilfully stopped consuming my 3 daily glucosamine sulphate capsules, waiting curiously for my left knee to ache. It still hasn't.

Today I discussed about a low budget regional film I've just watched. I thought it was bad and the acting amateur. Strangely, other people liked it and the reason was that "it wasn't commercial; it was sincere". And Matrix Reloaded is bad cos it was commercial and wasn't sincere? Keanu Reeves spent hours everyday practising his fight sequences, so much so that he had to sit in a bathtub of ice at the end of the day. Would anyone want to sit in a bathtub of ice? Why isn't that sincere?

Today I tried to talk to you, to explain to you why. You said there's no need, but you also closed up like a book, and I realised we'll never really be friends again.

Today I went to the library which I haven't done in a long while. I've got too many books to read but still I crave. I saw a copy of Michael Chabon's Wonder Boys and smiled wryly to myself, thinking I've lost count of the number of times I've borrowed and not read this book. I didn't borrow it again. Instead I wandered round till I came across Dave Eggers' You Shall Know Our Velocity and clutched it gladly in my hands.

Today I watched the Latin film Before Night Falls, based on the life story of homosexual Cuban author Reinaldo Arenas. After the screening, I hit the bookstores to find a copy of the book this movie's based on, and somehow Arenas' books were stacked on the topmost shelves at both Books Kinokuniya and Borders. At Kino they have this rolling stepladder you can stand on to retrieve a book, so I gingerly tiptoed on a rung to reach the shelf. When the security guard by the door saw me, he strode over to position himself by the ladder. He didn't talk or look at me; he just stood there. Just in case. Thank you, but Kino doesn't have a copy of Before Night Falls. So I walked over to Borders where the shelves were higher, and this time there was no rolling stepladder. I clambered up 2 shelves anyway to reach the top and located a copy of the book. Luckily today's not a skirt and heels day.

Today I accidentally alighted at the busstop one stop before my place. Cos of the road construction that had been there for what seemed forever, I had to take a long detour round 5 traffic lights before I reached home. If I were younger, I would be quite pissed off by this. Now, I just think it's fate giving me a chance to listen to music longer on my ipod.

Today happened. And I survived.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home