Random thoughts Stray memories

Tuesday, December 24, 2002

52 pages into reading Alan Warner's book Morvern Callar, I realise I need to re-read it in order to list down all the music references. The protagonist is always listening to music and no further explanation is given on the artist or album, you're just expected to know.

A typical example: "In the flat I got a new pack from the carton and used the goldish lighter on a Silk Cut. I put Secondhand Daylight by Magazine on the record player. I switched on and put the needle to Rhythm of Cruelty, the second track on Side One. Then I took out the live album Play and just put all Side One on." This sets the tone for whatever the protagonist is going to do next, but I can't tell what she's thinking till I know what the music is about. I wonder if this is the album the author was listening to while he was writing the book; whether that album inspired him; if this album appeared in the movie as well.

I guess it'll probably be unjustifiably anal to buy all the albums listed in the book, and play them through while reading the relevant section. But then again I'm afraid I'm just the sort of maniac who may contemplate such a move.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home