Random thoughts Stray memories

Friday, November 01, 2002

I was trying hard to blog just now but had ISP problems. Was really impulsive and I think I just about exploded.. and if someone had caught me then, I would have just about spilt the beans on any bloody thing. But now there's no more obstacle to blogging, I cooled down and you know what? I'd write about music instead. To be more precise, another encounter with the music store personnel who recommended Hooverphonic (and will henceforth be referred to as Mr. Hooverphonic, to distinguish him from the group).

Went to sample music again. This time David Gray's latest album, Tori Amos' latest one entitled Scarlet's Walk and a Greatest Hits collection of the Manic Street Preachers. Actually, I've got every single MSP album already (and there is even a story in how I made a friend while looking out for the previously banned MSP albums, but I digress), but this compilation comes with dance remixes. It was too hard to resist, so I didn't. Tried my best to like the latest David Gray album because I love, no, worship his White Ladder album. But I couldn't somehow. The music just stood me at arms' length, like a polite stranger mindful of my comfort zone; when I'll much rather have invasive music to duck inside my danger zone. So no go. Tori Amos though is always an interesting choice. Beautiful words, not too sappy, more siren than woman. It was quite easy to pick really.

I thought that was it, till I made a circuit and chanced upon last copies of 2 Fila Brazillia albums. Don't know about you, but I'm a sucker for last anythings. I have this belief that they're planted there intentionally. Waiting for ME to come rescue them. One's an old 1997 Fila Brazillia album titled Luck be a Weirdo Tonight, with a cute rabbit perched attentively on the album cover, right out from a children's fairy tale. The other.. well, I forgot what it was. It was nothing as cool as the bunny. Anyway, I brought both back to Mr. Hooverphonic to sample. Liked the bunny album. Decided to stop myself buying it even though it was a last copy. Handed both Fila Brazillia albums back to Mr Hooverphonic and said no regretfully. And the strange thing is, he smiled and handed Luck be a Weirdo Tonight right back to me. As if he was warding me off making a mistake. And I didn't protest, but casually took it, the Tori Amos and the MSP albums to the checkout counter.

Listening to Luck be a Weirdo Tonight right now as I'm blogging. Happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home