Random thoughts Stray memories

Sunday, November 04, 2001

I'm not sure how other folks buy CDs. For me, I have a convoluted purchasing process. It's going to be mindlessly boring so don't read further ok? You've been duly warned.

For eg, I bought 3 CDs today: Abandoned Pools' Humanistic, the Strokes' Is this It? and Eels' Souljacker. I've never heard of Abandoned Pools till sampling their album from Borders today, but the band name is itself an instantaneous draw. I just like the name and the image it conjures. Then I check out the band's pedigree, and realise that Tommy Walters (who was in the band Eels) is in it. The music isn't bad and I like the album cover (cartoon-like etchings of a guy in a red jacket on a white background). And I realise I've been acquiring too much dance music recently and it's time to realign back to pop rock. Thus is the first album bought.

On the same sampling machine rest the album by the Strokes. At this point I did a mental checklist about the Strokes. This album is critically acclaimed. The band is from New York (yes!) but the music doesn't grab me right away (no!). Well, cept for the title track Is this It?. But maybe this is one of those grow-on-you kinda albums? I'm not sure if you know, but there's 2 album covers for the same Strokes album. One is a black and white picture of a naked side profile, and a black gloved hand is resting on afore-mentioned naked posterior. The other album cover version is a sickly yellow background with weird stylistic loops. I hate the latter. Borders stock only the latter. So I didn't buy the Strokes there and decided to check out Gramaphone instead.

When I got to Gramaphone, I found that they stock the Strokes album with the cooler album cover so that kinda clinched it. Cos of Abandoned Pools, I decided to go take a look at Eels' latest album Souljacker. Then I recalled that John Parish (who collaborated with PJ Harvey before) collaborated with Eels on this album. Hmm. The words on the back of the album are fun too. See, fun people make good music. :)

And that's how the albums were bought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home