Random thoughts Stray memories

Saturday, October 13, 2001

Behold I give unto you power to tread on serpents... and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
- Luke 10:19

Actually, the above describes what I think about my identity ring perfectly. I have a simple engraved silver ID ring which looks like a flat edge flanked by 2 hooks, not a closed circle. It's a talisman which I've been wearing nearly daily since '95. This ring has followed me everywhere in my travels, to weddings, funerals and birthdays, through breakups, reconciliations and breakups again, to gigs and concerts, to work. It has a lot of sentimental value for me.

Hence when Shing the jeweler who made this ring held a show last night, I went along with my best friend and his SO to attend. It felt odd, bringing the ring to see its maker. The show theme was called Remnants.

The door gift was a stack of beautiful cards printed with different showcased designs, as well as a little ring case filled with the remnants of material left over from those used to make the designs for the show. Inside the ring case is also a little balled-up slip of paper which quotes:

There are very few human beings who receive the truth, complete and staggering, by instant illumination. Most of them acquire it fragment by fragment, on a small scale, by successive developments, cellularly, like a laborious mosaic.
- Anais Nin

Though I don't know the jeweler personally, I'm glad she persevered all these years. She made a ring that I wore for 7 years. That's really something isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home